This Site is best viewed in Internet Explorer (4.0) at 800x600 or greater
Deciding your future - choosing your Uni/College course
Choosing the course that you will take at University / College will probably be one of the most important decisions of your life. Hence it is extremely important that you make a wise decision for a future that you will enjoy. Most people realize this quickly and become overwhelmed by the choices and possibilities before them. Following is a basic guide, which simply aims at giving a structured and logical approach to making a very big decision.
- decide on the very general area careers that you wish to persue...base this decision on grades, interests, personality etc
- use your local course selection guide to collect together a group of courses that will lead you in the general direction you decided upon earlier
- using as many resources as you can(ie course description sheets, other people (esp. lecturers), phone calls), consider the positives and negatives of each course...draw up charts if this helps you think more effectively. Special things to consider are length of the course, cost, future job prospects and especially the pre-requisites of the course. Rely on sure information such as books, leaflets and the word of professionals, this is one time when the information must be correct. Also make sure that you have the latest information, since changes that can be made to courses may rearrange your course selection priorities.
- rank the courses in the order of your preference. Make the first preference an ideal and the other preferences in order of your decreasing preference. If you change your mind on a subject, donít hesitate to change any of them around
- now is the time to consider all other options that you may not have considered yet, ie non College / University options. For example, you can consider an apprenticeship or other forms of training (either on the job training or not). For example, you may consider such options as going to a business college, a college of multimedia and other such options.
- remember deadlines for enrollment and enroll in the courses which correlate with your prioritized preferences
- in the process of enrollment, also consider scholarships for particular courses...since the stage of enrollment is probable the convenient time to enquire
Back one Page